Thursday, September 24, 2015 Ty has grown comfortable pacing from his cave to the bedroom for a few days now. I even catch evidence (drool) he has been sleeping in the bedroom when I have been gone– on the bigger pink bed

.Ty Sept in pink bed finallynicer bed finally!

When I am in the study, he goes between the two rooms, glancing in at me. My chair is about 8 to 10 feet from the doorway. I call and he ignores me. I offer treats and he ignores those, continuing on his trek. Sometimes, though, he stops and looks longingly in from a foot or two away. I can see the fear and desire both in his eyes. If I move, he retreats. If I act as though I don’t notice, he lingers. I want him to work this out for himself. I know he can do it. Someday.

So I have moved the smaller green bed he originally preferred to the spot next to my desk. Today, I tried to lure him in with treats. It was a singular failure because the cats rushed over for the treats, acting like starving orphans. He tolerates the cats but still gives them lots of room.

Today I was out raking the patio and twice he rushed in front of me, obligating me to stop so not to trip him with the rake. Not bad for a dog who two months ago still thought I was going to strike him with any stick or handle I happened to have. Now he knows exactly  how safe he is. I have to wonder if he was testing his decision by forcing me to stop to avoid accidentally striking him. If so, smart dog.

Ty 9-24-15 looking worried

I am also holding his leash less as we leave the porch for the patio and back again.

Friday, September 25, 2015. Ty has discovered the treasures hiding inside a litter  box! Kitty krunchies. Oh yum! At least he thinks so. I just try to see it as the signs of a normal, healthy dog, doing what they naturally do.

We had our first vet visit today, just a six month meet-and-greet. It went well, no great problems. He was a little nervous, but not as bad as I had expected. He was also curious. A good sign. He weighed in at 65.2 pounds and looks great. I am so happy with  his journey so far!

Ty 9-25-15 at vet 1 Ty 9-25-15 at vet 2

(In the exam room, waiting for the doctor.)

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 He seemed worried. We were on our walk this evening. I snapped a few pictures. We’d had a bad thunderstorm while I was at work. Once I got home,  I found his cave dismantled and the bed in the bedroom urinated on and lots of drool puddles everywhere. And an exhausted dog. Poor soul. He must have been beside himself.

I washed the pink bed and cleaned the floors and straightened his kitchen cave. I tried to lure him into the bedroom but he pooped in fright. I got that cleaned up too, wondering what happened to him while I was gone. He finally joined me in the bedroom, where I was reading and waiting. He was a nervous wreck, lying as close to the edge of the bed as he could get to me. I kept my hand hanging out so to be able to touch him at all times.  That is a new thing for us, he’s never asked for my touch like that before.

Now that September has slid away and October is shining bright, I can’t wait to see what the next six months have in store for Ty and myself as we continue on our travels. Our trip thus far has been marked by some super milestones and a few bumps and a set back or two. I am so glad to have such a challenging dog to share this time with.

Up next, some Then-and-Now photos.